Recipe of the Month: Blueberry and Lemon Goat Cheese Pastry Cups
2 cups fresh Oregon blueberries (about 16 ounces)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon lemon extract
6 ounces Goat cheese
4 ounces cream cheese
Zest of one medium to large lemon
¼ cup chopped pistachios
1 package fully baked Phyllo Shells, thawed
- Add blueberries to a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat and stir in the sugar and 2 tablespoons water.
- Stir frequently, for the first 5-8 minutes.
- Once the blueberries have released their juices and become syrupy, continue to simmer uncovered on low heat (giving it a stir now and then) for about 25-30 minutes, or until the blueberries are jammy in texture. They will thicken a bit more when cool.
- Take the blueberries off the heat and stir in the lemon extract. Let them cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together goat cheese, cream cheese and lemon zest. Place a Ziploc plastic bag or pastry bag into a tall glass and fill it with the goat cheese mixture. If using a plastic bag, cut one bottom corner large enough to pipe the goat cheese onto the blueberries.
- Place the phyllo shells on a platter and fill each shell with a tablespoon of jammy blueberries. Then pipe the goat cheese mixture over the blueberries and top each pastry cup with chopped pistachios. Serve.
Makes About 16
You can make the jammy blueberries and the goat cheese mixture a day in advance of serving and hold them in the refrigerator. Bring them to room temp and then fill the pastry shells.