Cold soups can be incredibly refreshing on a hot summer day, and they go well beyond gazpacho! In this Blueberry Soup, blueberries are cooked down with lemon juice and cardamom to concentrate their sweetness. The pureed blueberry mixture is paired with juicy mango puree, and a kick of Muscatel wine to create a dish with a striking, deep blue color. Serve this Blueberry Soup at your next summer luncheon, baby shower or dinner party — your guests will be intrigued!
- 3 pints blueberries, picked over to remove stems
- ¾ cup sugar
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup Muscatel, Ice Wine, or Honey wine
- ¾ cup mango puree* or 1 mango, peeled, pitted, and pureed in a blender or food processor
- Combine blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and cardamom in a saucepan
- Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil and cook until the sugar dissolves completely
- Remove from heat and put the blueberry mixture in a blender
- Blend to a smooth puree
- Combine the blueberry puree with the Muscatel wine and mango puree
- Refrigerate until cold
- Serve in a large bowl with a ladle and let people help themselves
If you’d like a more elaborate dessert, serve with a scoop of Vanilla Yogurt Sorbet.
- Yield: 8 tacos per serving