Blueberry Mousse and Gingersnap Cups
Gingersnaps complement this wonderful blueberry mousse.
3 cups frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons sugar
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature or softened
4 cups heavy cream, divided
1/3 cup powdered sugar, plus 4 tablespoons
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 10-ounce bag gingersnaps, crushed
- In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, add 2 cups frozen blueberries with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bring to a simmer and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half. Let the blueberries cool completely in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Prepare the whipped cream by adding 2 cups heavy cream and 4 tablespoons powdered sugar to an electric mixer and whip until light and fluffy. Transfer to a bowl and keep chilled.
- In the same bowl (no need to clean it) add the cream cheese and whip until smooth. Slowly add 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 2 cups heavy cream and lemon extract and whip until light and fluffy.
- Next drain the liquid (keep this and use it to top pancakes or French toast) from the saucy blueberries and then fold the blueberries into the cream cheese and whipped cream mixture.
- Then fold the remaining 1 cup frozen blueberries into the mixture.
- Set out eight 8-ounce jars, dessert glasses or cups and place 1-2 tablespoons of crushed gingersnaps in the bottom of each glass. Then top with blueberry mousse, then a dollop of whipped cream, then a tablespoon or two of crushed gingersnaps followed by the blueberry mousse and then top with whipped cream.
- Place the cups into the refrigerator for at least one hour prior to serving. This will soften the gingersnap cookies and firm up the mousse. Garnish with crushed gingersnaps before serving.
Tip: To prep this the day before, crush the cookies and then prepare the saucy blueberries (step #1) and let them cool completely. Then prepare the mousse mixture (step #3), adding the saucy blueberries (step #4). Do not add the frozen blueberries yet. Hold this mixture covered in the refrigerator overnight.
The day of service, fold in the frozen blueberries to the blueberry mousse mixture, prepare the whipped cream and then assemble. Be sure to hold the Blueberry Mousse and Gingersnap Cups in the refrigerator at least one hour prior to serving.
Makes Eight 8-ounce cups