Roasted Salmon with Savory Blueberry Sauce
Roasted Salmon with Savory Blueberry Sauce might look fancy, but it’s truly a simple meal filled with enchanting flavor. Oregon Blueberries make a delicious sauce when laced with aromatics and fresh herbs, which compliment a luscious roasted salmon.
1 ½ lbs. salmon, divided into four pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
2 cups frozen blueberries
½ cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
Zest of one lemon
2 tablespoons blueberry jam
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Brush the salmon with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place skin side down on a baking sheet or in a baking dish. Place the salmon in the oven and roast for about 10-12 minutes for thin pieces of salmon ( 1-inch thick or less) and 12-15 minutes for thicker pieces. The salmon should reach 145F internal temperature when done.
- To make the sauce add one tablespoon butter to the bottom of a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Then add the shallots and cook for 1 minute or until soft.
- Stir in the frozen blueberries, chicken broth, chopped thyme and lemon zest.
- Bring to a slow boil and then turn down the heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half and the berries are soft, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the jam and sherry vinegar. Let the sauce cook for one minute longer and then take the sauce pan off the heat. Season to taste with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Stir in one tablespoon butter and let the sauce cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving. It will thicken a bit as it cools.
- Place the salmon on a platter and ladle a little sauce over each piece of salmon. I like to serve this dish with toasted pearled couscous or jasmine rice.