Once you make and try homemade marshmallows, you will be hooked! These super fluffy homemade marshmallows are a must-try for anyone who loves a sweet treat.
For the marshmallows:
- 3 – 1 oz. packs gelatin
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting cutting surface
For blueberry compote swirl:
1 cup blueberries
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup blueberries
- To make the blueberry compote, place the blueberries and sugar in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer stirring regularly. Simmer for 6-7 minutes until thick. Set aside until ready to swirl the marshmallow.
- Line 9 x 9-inch or 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water. Soak for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine sugar, corn syrup and 1/4 cup water whisking only until the sugar is dissolved. Bring the mixture to a rapid boil. As soon as it is boiling, set the timer and allow to boil hard for 1 minute without stirring.
- Carefully pour the boiling syrup into soaked gelatin and turn on the mixer, starting on low and moving up to high speed. Add the salt and almond extract and beat for between 10 and 12 minutes, or until fluffy and mostly cooled to almost room temperature.
- Grease a rubber or silicone spatula with oil or butter and transfer marshmallow into the prepared pan. Use your greased hands to press the marshmallow into the pan evenly if necessary.
- Dot the blueberry compote over the top and swirl using a knife or skewer. Carefully place another piece of parchment paper over top, not touching the marshmallow mixture. Allow marshmallows to sit for a few hours, or overnight, until cooled and firmly set.
- Once marshmallow is firmly set, sprinkle a cutting surface very generously with confectioner's sugar. Remove marshmallow from pan and lay on top of the sugar. Use a large, sharp knife that’s been lightly oiled to cut into squares. Separate pieces and toss to coat all surfaces with the sugar to prevent from sticking.
- Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!