Every bite of blueberry French toast casserole is full of texture and flavor… from the cinnamon-spiced bread and juicy blueberries to the crisp brown sugar topping.
For the toast:
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 1/2 c. frozen blueberries
- 8 eggs
- 2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
For the topping:
- 1/3 c. brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 T. unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 c. plus 1 T. all-purpose flour
- Grease a 9x13 pan with butter or cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, milk, heavy cream, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Chop the bread into ¾ to 1-inch cubes and put it in the bowl with the egg mixture and toss well until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add frozen blueberries and gently fold in until blueberries are evenly distributed.
- Pour the bread and egg mixture into the pan, cover evenly with the crumb topping and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Serve with a light dusting of powdered sugar or your favorite syrup.