Summer Blueberry and Lemon Goat Cheese Pastry Cups
Nothing says summer like fresh, juicy and sweet Oregon blueberries. This is a delicious and easy starter, snack or dessert for summer barbecues, weekend gatherings or family dinner. They’re the perfect little bite of blueberry!
2 cups fresh Oregon blueberries (about 16 ounces)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon lemon extract
6 ounces Goat cheese
4 ounces cream cheese
Zest of one medium to large lemon
¼ cup chopped pistachios
1 package fully baked Phyllo Shells, thawed
- Add blueberries to a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat and stir in the sugar and 2 tablespoons water.
- Stir frequently, for the first 5-8 minutes.
- Once the blueberries have released their juices and become syrupy, continue to simmer uncovered on low heat (giving it a stir now and then) for about 25-30 minutes, or until the blueberries are jammy in texture. They will thicken a bit more when cool.
- Take the blueberries off the heat and stir in the lemon extract. Let them cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together goat cheese, cream cheese and lemon zest. Place a Ziploc plastic bag or pastry bag into a tall glass and fill it with the goat cheese mixture. If using a plastic bag, cut one bottom corner large enough to pipe the goat cheese onto the blueberries.
- Place the phyllo shells on a platter and fill each shell with a tablespoon of jammy blueberries. Then pipe the goat cheese mixture over the blueberries and top each pastry cup with chopped pistachios. Serve.
Makes About 16
NOTE: You can make the jammy blueberries and the goat cheese mixture a day in advance of serving and hold them in the refrigerator. Bring them to room temp and then fill the pastry shells.