Fresh Oregon Blueberry Ice Box Pie with Chocolate Cookie Crust
This Fresh Oregon Blueberry Ice Box Pie with Chocolate Cookie Crust is a delicious and indulgent summertime dessert. Laced with lemon zest and paired with a chocolate cookie crust, this pie makes a bold flavor statement and will have family and friends asking for seconds.
25 chocolate sandwich cookies for crust (1 ½ cups crushed cookies)
4 tablespoons melted butter
3 cups fresh Oregon blueberries
Zest of one lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 packet of gelatin
1 cup heavy cream
11-ounce can sweetened condensed coconut milk
1 8-ounce package Cream cheese
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup powdered sugar
½ cup fresh blueberries for garnish
3 or 4 chocolate cookies for garnish
Fresh mint for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a food processor, pulse the cookies until finely crushed.
- Stir the melted butter into the crushed cookies.
- Press the cookie mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch deep dish pie plate.
- Place the pie plate in the oven and bake the crust for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the crust cool.
- Blend 3 cups blueberries in a blender.
- Add pureed blueberries and zest of one lemon to a medium size pot and heat over medium low heat just until heated through.
- Then sprinkle the gelatin into the lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Pour the gelatin lemon juice into the hot blueberries and stir.
- Set aside to cool.
- In an electric mixer whip 1 cup of the heavy whipping cream until it forms stiff peaks. Transfer to a cold mixing bowl.
- Using the same electric mixer bowl, no need to clean it, whisk together the sweetened condensed coconut milk and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Fold the cooled blueberries into the cream cheese mixture and then fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled pie crust.
- Place it in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight. Placing it in the freezer will give it a firmer texture.
- Once the pie is firm, whip 1 cup of heavy cream with ¼ cup powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the pie and garnish with additional fresh Oregon blueberries, chocolate cookie crumbs and fresh mint.