Fresh and Frozen Blueberries
When buying fresh blueberries, select firm, plump and
unblemished berries in dry, unstained containers. The
blueberries should be free of surface moisture, which
Color is the best indicator of blueberry maturity and
fully developed flavor. Blueberries should be deep purple-blue
to blue black, with a natural powdery bloom or fine snowy
white dust on the surface.
Shelf-life for blueberries is longer than other berries
– generally 10 days to two weeks from harvest.
Storage & Thawing Tips:
• Arrange unwashed blueberries in a
• Cover blueberries while storing.
• Wash blueberries just prior to use.
• Blueberries should be thawed under refrigerated
conditions to ensure an
• Never re-freeze thawed fruit. Properly thawed,
cultivated blueberries will maintain their original
Late April to Late May
June and July
July to September
September to mid-October